Wednesday 4 July 2012

The world of trading is full of hurt and pain!

The world of trading is full of hurt and pain, and you can thank the market’s maximum adversity for it. Maximum adversity will rarely allow a trader to make easy money. Success does hurt. It’s painful. 

Most people need to suffer firsthand the failures of trading before they are truly ready to learn. Until they endure disappointment, they will continue to believe the marketing hype that suggests trading should be easy and fun. Certainly trading is relatively simple when you get down to the mechanics and execution, but it’s not easy to implement your trading plan successfully.

When you lose money, it will hurt. When you trade with the trend and lose 70% of your trades, it will hurt. When you are in drawdown, which you are for most of the time, even with a higher accuracy system, it will hurt.

Successful traders know this from experience, and they know how to manage the pain to stay on the course. They know how to numb it. You will need to accept that you can experience a long streak of consecutive losing trades. You will need to learn how to deal with that particular pain. You will constantly be trading through drawdowns, some minor and some uncomfortably large.

Inexperienced traders aren’t prepared for the pain, and they believe trading and making money should be easy. Once they face the pain, they shy away, not realizing that it’s the conquering of the pain that leads to continuing successful trading.

I conquer my hurt and pain by:
1) being a mechanical system trader, I don’t predict the market direction, it helps me to remove my emotions and disappointments from trading.
2) trading with proper, sensible and defensive money management: I don’t risk a large percentage of my account on any one trade.
3) diversifying my trading in 20 pairs to reduce the risks and uncertainties.
4) using simple, objective, and independent trading strategies with a very good chance of surviving into the future. Although it’s painful to trade a rough and bumpy non-optimized equity curve, I know I am trading the realities.
5) expecting to lose before I place my orders each day, and I welcome my losses.
6) not following the market, I trade 10 minutes a day. I keep myself busy and away from trading the market, I lessen the pain of trading. It allows me to trade almost pain free!

My dear friends, it’s unfortunate but there is every real chance that you will need to experience failure firsthand before you can succeed. Failure includes pain. Successful trading is accompanied by constant hurt and pain, but please remember that it is also very rewarding because at the end of the day, you will make good money!




No comments:

Post a Comment